Loader
logo
Course Image

Course Description

PHYSICS AS / A LEVEL We offer Physics at both A level (2-year course) and AS level (1-year course). AS-level forms the first year of the A-level course. A2-level forms the second year of the A-level course What will I be studying in AS? Physics deals with the forces that shape the world, from the smallest sub-atomic particles to stars and planets. It also deals with the way that forces and energy are used by all of us in our everyday lives. Unit A: Mechanics involves the study of how objects move, their velocities and accelerations and the forces that cause them to move. It also deals with car safety, friction forces in fluids and the forces that give an aeroplane lift. Unit B: Electrons, Waves and Photons involves the study of electrical circuits, quantum physics and spectra along with the interference and diffraction of light and the basic properties of waves. Unit C: Practical skills in Physics 1. Students use their knowledge and understanding from other units to plan, carry out and evaluate practical experiments in the lab. What will I be studying in A2? The A2 course continues for a further year after the AS course. Unit D: The Newtonian World takes many of the ideas in units A and B further with more on Newton's Laws and motion including circular motion and oscillations, followed by an introduction to thermal physics and ideal gases Unit E: Fields, Particles and Frontiers of Physics. An introduction to cutting edge Physics including Electric and Magnetic fields. Nuclear Physics. Medical Imaging and Cosmology. Unit F: Practical Skills in Physics2. As in Unit C this involves planning, carrying out and evaluating experiments in the lab. What skills will I need and be developing during the course? You will need to be numerate dealing with calculations and graphs, able to cope with algebra and trigonometry, and be able to express your ideas clearly. In practical work you will need to measure things carefully and accurately. You will build up these skills in the work that you do. How is the Course assessed? 20% of the work is practical coursework, assessed by the teacher and moderated by the examination board. The remaining 80% of each course is assessed by examinations taken at the end of each unit as shown in the table over the page. UNIT : LEVEL : NAME : AS LEVEL : A LEVEL A : AS : Mechanics : 30% : 15% B : AS : Electrons, Waves and Photons : 50% : 25% C : AS : Practical Skills in Physics : 20% : 10% : D : A2 : The Newtonian World : : 15% E : A2 : Fields Particles and Frontiers of Physics : - : 25% F : A2 : Practical skills in Physics : - : 10% What career opportunities are there? Combined with A level Mathematics, Physics provides the foundation for degree courses in Engineering. It combines well with Computing or IT if you are interested in a career in the computer industry. Physics, Chemistry and Biology is the most common combination of subjects for Medicine. Physics is an interesting subject to study in its own right and, combined with other subjects, forms a good basis for careers in all areas of science, business and the professions.

PHYSICS AS / A LEVEL We offer Physics at both A level (2-year course) and AS level (1-year course). AS-level forms the first year of the A-level course. A2-level forms the second year of the A-level course What will I be studying in AS? Physics deals with the forces that shape the world, from the smallest sub-atomic particles to stars and planets. It also deals with the way that forces and energy...

Read More

Related Courses