Loader
Course Image

Course Description

Mathematics IB (Higher and Standard Level) MATHEMATICS (HL/SL) International Baccalaureate Campus: Cheadle and Marple (26.02.09) This course is offered as part of the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme. You will take 3 Higher Level subjects and 3 Standard Level subjects and complete components in Theory of Knowledge, Creativity Action Service and an Extended Essay. Course overview The IB Higher Level and Standard Level Mathematics course will develop mathematical knowledge, concepts and principles, independent learning and research skills. You will be able to analyse and present information, evaluate and construct arguments and solve problems logically, critically and creatively. The internally assessed portfolio offers you the opportunity to explore different ways of approaching a problem and develop the skills for communicating mathematical ideas. Areas of study include: Algebra Functions and Equations Trigonometry Calculus Matrices Vectors Statistics The options topic at the Higher Level will be Probability and Statistics. How you will learn Lessons are usually teacher led but will involve investigation, discussion, group work and working on examples. This will allow you to use your own inherent logical, thinking skills so that you can develop the understanding of a mathematical principal and its formation into mathematical language. Graphical display calculators will be used extensively throughout the course. How you will be assessed External Assessment: Higher Level Paper 1: non-calculator, short response questions (30%) Paper 2: graphic display calculator, extended response questions (30%) Paper 3: lengthy questions based on the options topic, Probability and Statistics (30%) Standard Level Paper 1: non-calculator comprising a section on short response questions and a section on extended response questions (40%) Paper 2: As paper 1 but involves the use of a graphic display calculator (40%) Internal Assessment: The Portfolio: (20%) This is developed over the course and comprises two assignments, one involving mathematical investigation and one involving mathematical modelling. Special entry requirements Standard college entry criteria for I.B., normally 6 GCSEs at Grade B or above in appropriate subjects. You need to have studied GCSE Maths at the higher tier and achieved at least a grade B for SL and at least a grade A for HL. What students say about the I.B. The I.B. is challenging yet great fun it educates students for success beyond school or college I think I.B. students are much better prepared for University, as they have good time management skills and really know how to learn Other useful information Career options are many and varied for students with mathematical skills. Universities welcome I.B. students to study for degrees involving Science, Economics, Psychology, Business, Management and many more.

Mathematics IB (Higher and Standard Level) MATHEMATICS (HL/SL) International Baccalaureate Campus: Cheadle and Marple (26.02.09) This course is offered as part of the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme. You will take 3 Higher Level subjects and 3 Standard Level subjects and complete components in Theory of Knowledge, Creativity Action Service and an Extended Essay. Course overview The...

Read More