Loader
Course Image

HEFC Social Welfare (I) Fri 12-3

Gateshead College

Course Description

HEFC Social Welfare (I) Fri 12-3 AAA0041 Is it for me? This unit is designed to introduce you to the main issues which influence the study of social welfare in the 21st century. HEFC Diplomas attract students from a wide variety of backgrounds and subject areas who want to go on to study for a higher education degree. The Diploma consists of 3 different HEFC units and the Toolbox. Passing the Diploma will give the candidate enough UCAS points to apply to higher education and guidance on applying to university will be given during the tutorial element of the Diploma. What do I need to know? The Diploma is a level 3 course and contains a high level of independent learning. You will carry out research, write reports and essays, deliver presentations and sit exams. Therefore you will need to have an interview and an initial assessment. Depending on the results of your initial assessment you will either be offered a place on the Diploma or offered a place on other courses that will enable you to progress onto the Diploma. You will need to attain, in your initial assessment, level 2 in literacy andor numeracy to enrol on the Diploma. There is no age limit on for students wishing to study a HEFC Diploma but you need to be returning to education and wishing to progress into higher education. Please note that acceptance on to some courses may be subject to a satisfactory police clearance. Further guidance will be given by the course team at interview or induction. A criminal record will not necessarily be a bar to studying on this course, a number of factors will be taken in to consideration. What will I study? Social Policy - This fifteen week semester will begin by examining the origins of social welfare and consider its development up to the present day. We will look at a broad range of current provision, including income maintenance, housing, health, education and personal social services. Students will be encouraged to develop skills to help them critically evaluate the role of social welfare provision in the context of modern society, and to understand the impact of political ideologies. Trends and Issues - A fifteen week semester aims to look at the ways in which social policy is put into practice and at the functions of various professionals within the social welfare field. Students will examine the ways in which specific care users are affected by changes in policy. Also in this unit students will explore the experience of carers in relation to social policy and will consider how the professional carer roles have changed. The consequences of oppression and discrimination will be an underpinning theme. Where will I study? Baltic Campus You'll be based at our fantastic ?39million Baltic campus on the quayside. The campus has a prime location on Gateshead quayside, and state-of-the-art facilities including a Jacuzzi, gym and sauna, a 200 seat theatre, state-of-the-art classrooms, training kitchen and restaurant, refectory, bistro and vending areas. How will I be assessed? The course will be assessed by four pieces of written coursework, which will be common to all Colleges and agreed by the module teaching team. Two will be given in each term and two will carry 60% of the marks for this sequence. The remaining two pieces of coursework will carry 40% of the overall mark each. Can I go on to further study? The full HEFC Diploma is a full level 3 qualification which is accepted by universities and colleges as entry qualifications for degree level studies. See the UCAS website. How do I apply? You can drop in to our Baltic Campus to complete an application form. An interview is required for this course.

HEFC Social Welfare (I) Fri 12-3 AAA0041 Is it for me? This unit is designed to introduce you to the main issues which influence the study of social welfare in the 21st century. HEFC Diplomas attract students from a wide variety of backgrounds and subject areas who want to go on to study for a higher education degree. The Diploma consists of 3 different HEFC units and the Toolbox. Passing the...

Read More