Loader
Course Image

Foundation Degree in Agricultural Management P/T

Bridgwater College

Send an Enquiry

Course Description

Foundation Degree in Agricultural Management P/T Who is the course for? This course is designed for people aiming for management positions in the agricultural industry, either in practical agriculture or in the agriculture supply industry. What will I study on the course? The course is made up of 14 units, covering technical and managerial aspects of modern agriculture. Students will learn by a combination of different practical and theoretical methods. Practical methods will include farm-based investigations, fieldwork, workshop practicals and visits. Theoretical methods will mainly involve lectures, seminars and demonstrations. Year 1 Agricultural Budgeting: introduces students to the principles of budgeting for agriculture, through the Gross Margin system of costings. On completion of this unit the student should be able to prepare budgets for themselves or a prospective landlord or lender Agriculture Business and Policy: shows how EU schemes for agriculture are applied, determines the costs of owning and operating machinery, employing staff, marketing of agricultural products, and evaluates different types of business structure Dairy Cow Breeding and Nutrition: covers the performance and development of the dairy cow, including the factors involved in feeding and breeding Finance and Accounts: gives the students an understanding of the main sources of finance and how to evaluate them, preparation of accounts and the operation of the main taxes Veterinary Studies: covers general animal health and allows the students to make management judgements concerning animal health Grass and Forage Crop Production: includes the establishment, maintenance and utilisation of grass and forage crops. It enables the students to evaluate the different crops in terms of production and utilisation Grass and Forage Crop Mechanisation: covers the operation and use of machinery in the production, maintenance and harvesting of grass and forage crops Work Based Learning: a period of practical work in an agricultural business Year 2 Arable Crops and Mechanisation: covers the growing and marketing of arable crops, and the selection, use and maintenance of arable machinery Livestock for Meat: covers the feeding, breeding, marketing and production of beef, sheep, pigs and poultry Agriculture and the Environment: covers the application of environmental legislation to agricultural businesses, agricultural environmental schemes, the Single Farm Payment, and conditions for receiving it Business Opportunities and Staffing: covers alternative enterprises, marketing, employment legislation and staff management Business Analysis and Machinery Management: Analyse the performance of a farm business and re-plan it; analyse machinery costs and prepare a machinery plan Project: allows you to investigate a topic of your choice, in detail. What makes this course special? This course is special because it covers in detail and to a great depth the management of today's modern agriculture industry. The course structure allows students to study whilst still in full-time employment. Over the past five years students from this course have won many national awards. How will I be assessed? Each unit is assessed with a series of practical based assignments, which make up 60% of the final mark; the end of unit written examination generates the other 40%. Some units are 100% assignments. How long is the course? The course runs from January to December each year. This course runs for two days a week for one year followed by one day a week for two years combined with self directed study. Or one day a week for four years. Will this course lead to a qualification? Yes. A Foundation Degree in Agricultural Management from Plymouth University. What can I do on completion of this course? Enter employment as a Farm Manager, Rural Surveyor, Unit Manager, Farm Contractor or Senior Herdsman or progress onto an Honours Degree in an agricultural subject at a university of your choice. How muc

Foundation Degree in Agricultural Management P/T Who is the course for? This course is designed for people aiming for management positions in the agricultural industry, either in practical agriculture or in the agriculture supply industry. What will I study on the course? The course is made up of 14 units, covering technical and managerial aspects of modern agriculture. Students will learn by a...

Read More

Related Courses