Loader

Thetford Grammar School

Bridge Street

Ask a Question

Overview

In 1888, it was joined by the Victorian Girls' Grammar School, built across the road, in part with money left by Sir Joseph Williamson, Secretary of State to Charles II and a former Thetford MP.The two schools continued to grow and thrive through the twentieth century, adopting Voluntary Controlled Status in 1944 and forming a single coeducational establishment in 1975.The school returned to independence in 1981, rebuilding itself as a small but academically ambitious school which at the same time pays attention to the "wider curriculum" – a contemporary orthodoxy which has clearly, however, always been part of its long tradition. This ethos is reflected in the continued development of the school into the C21st.The Losinga building was redeveloped in 1998 to accommodate the growing technological needs of the modern age. But the school was reminded of its medieval roots during the construction of the Cloisters Sixth Form Centre in 2007 when extensive archaelogical work confirmed the of the last resting place of members of the Dominican Friary.
In 1888, it was joined by the Victorian Girls' Grammar School, built across the road, in part with money left by Sir Joseph Williamson, Secretary of State to Charles II and a former Thetford MP.The two schools continued to grow and thrive through the twentieth century, adopting Voluntary Controlled Status in 1944 and forming a single coeducational establishment in 1975.The school returned to...
Read More

Location

Primary Address

Bridge Street

Thetford Grammar School

Tier 4 Sponsors

Probationary Sponsor (Tier 4 General and Tier 4 Child)