Loader

The Marist Schools

Kings Road

Ask a Question

Overview

History of the SchoolThe story behind the school as it is today......The establishment of a boarding and day school in the Berkshire village of Sunninghill by the Marist Sisters was a direct result of the German air offensive against London in the early 1940's. On the night of the 21st September 1940 a German canister-bomb, dropped in Queen's Road, Richmond, Surrey did irreparable damage to the Marist Convent and School.Though the property damage was extensive and the emotional trauma very real as the Sisters saw years of dedication and hard work seemingly reduced to rubble, there were no casualties among the sisters and a group of students sheltering in the basement on that night of havoc.Not daunted, a house was rented at 6 Fife Road, East Sheen, and on this site the dislodged senior school was accommodated, while the least damaged area of the Queen's Road building was repaired and used for the juniors. With rugged tenacity the Sisters continued their apostolate on a new, if restricted site. Their plans for an extension however, were shattered when Barnes County Council, considering the existence of a school in a residential area to be in contravention of the Town Planning Scheme, withdrew permission for use of the site as a school.
History of the SchoolThe story behind the school as it is today......The establishment of a boarding and day school in the Berkshire village of Sunninghill by the Marist Sisters was a direct result of the German air offensive against London in the early 1940's. On the night of the 21st September 1940 a German canister-bomb, dropped in Queen's Road, Richmond, Surrey did irreparable damage to the...
Read More

Location

Primary Address

Kings Road

The Marist Schools

Tier 4 Sponsors

Tier 4 Sponsor (Tier 4 Child)