Loader

King Edward's School, Birmingham

Edgbaston Park Road

Ask a Question

Overview

From about this time a new breed of Headmasters propelled the school to academic eminence, reflecting the growing status and prosperity of the city itself. In the 1880s the governors created the High School for Girls and the five Foundation grammar schools, thereby making another massive contribution to education in the city. In 1936 the school moved out of the limitations of the New Street building to its present 50 -acre site close to the University. There are few, if any, day schools in the country with such extensive facilities and beautiful surroundings.The school has changed with the city. So, now it has become a multi-cultural, multi-faith, multi-ethnic institution and, in terms of the background of its pupils, it is one of the most diverse independent schools in the country. It has always taken, and continues to take, great efforts, in changing educational and political times, to remain accessible to all children, from Birmingham and beyond. So, there are now not only scholarships for the most able, but considerable, and increasing, financial support for able boys from low-income families. This has largely been provided through the funds of the original King Edward's Foundation, but also through gifts from former pupils and bursaries from a range of different companies.
From about this time a new breed of Headmasters propelled the school to academic eminence, reflecting the growing status and prosperity of the city itself. In the 1880s the governors created the High School for Girls and the five Foundation grammar schools, thereby making another massive contribution to education in the city. In 1936 the school moved out of the limitations of the New Street...
Read More

Location

Primary Address

Edgbaston Park Road

King Edward's School, Birmingham